Monday, October 5, 2009

Notre Dame Preparatory School

september 005f

Founded in 1873, Notre Dame Preparatory School is a Catholic, independent college preparatory school for girls, owned and operated by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. It is located in Towson, MD, about 15 minutes from my casa, and it just so happens to be my alma mater.

Earlier this summer my friend and former coach, Chris Lopez, invited me back to school to serve as his Assistant. Flattered, I accepted, and boy, am I glad I did.

I suppose I should have remembered, having been a former student and all, that Notre Dame not only exists to educate, but to inspire their girls to be agents of change and advocates of social justice. Needless to say, when the team got wind of the work Kay and I planned to do at SWB's Granada Project, they organized immediately to support the cause.

Every member of the team purchased her very own Baby Blue, raising $360 that has gone directly towards helping sustain the project. Additionally, they put together a school-wide, week-long equipment drive to gather new and gently used gear from friends and family which helps us stock the shelves of our bodega here in Granada.

september 003f

The team displays their totals (in style, I might add): 58 pairs of cleats (tacos), 21 balls (balones), 27 cones (conos), 19 pinnies (chalecos), 3 hats (gorras), 4 bags (mochilas), 14 pairs of socks (calcetas), 1 sweat suit (chaqueta y pantalones), 15 T-Shirts (camisa), 17 pairs of shorts (chores), and 14 pairs of shinguards (chimpinilleras).

These girls were very busy Blazers before I left. And just in case you're curious...they're doing some pretty good work on the field as well...

NDP vs. Maryvale
NDP vs. John Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment